Tuesday, June 4, 2019

The Plainfield YMCA - Struggling But Still Alive


I came home late today from the Bridgeway Golf Outing to find a rather aggressive mailing against my opponent in the Democratic Primary Election.  It claimed my opponent was responsible for the Y’s troubles. A reader could assume the Y is closed and that would be wrong.  The YMCA has been a pillar of the Plainfield community and my family have been admirers and avid supporters for years.  We were sad to see the YMCA building sold but we hold hope for a comeback.

Currently the Y building is closed and sold.  On the other hand the Y organization is under the auspices of the Somerset YMCA.  When I last spoke with Kieran Anderson, a leader on the YMCA Board of Directors, he said the Y was looking to regroup and find a new location.  I wish them well.

I have experienced similar aggressive end of election campaign mailers in the past. Like this past weekends attack mailer against me.  Facts are withheld and examples are given that misrepresent my positions and votes.  There is one actual fact: I do have 60% attendance this year.  That is four absences and my opponent conveniently did not mention that two of them were because I was directly responsible for a family members health care.  My attendance at Council meetings over my four terms is excellent.

The bottom line for me:  support the YMCA.  I urge their leaders to do more to get the word out about future plans.  Going door to door for this election, I spoke with about a half dozen people who thought the Y was dead and gone and I had to correct them.  

Also, read political mailers very carefully.  When they make negative claims, find other sources to validate those claims.  Or that don’t validate them. 

No comments: