Monday, June 10, 2019

Thank You for Your Support!

The voters have spoken.  It's time for a 2nd Ward change.  I will finish 16 years of service as a City Councilman on December 31.  It has been an honor and a privilege to serve the city I love.  Plainfield is where Lois and I decided to spend most of our lives, buy a home, raise two wonderful children and become active members of the community.  In doing so, our expectations have been exceeded.  Where else could we meet such interesting people so committed to community.  We don't have the highest property values in Plainfield but our value in human capital cannot be beat.

There are too many people to thank individually but here goes:

Lois - my partner all the way.  From the beginning of our involvement at Cook School, to New Democrats/Al McWilliams election campaigns, to successful school board elections in the 1990's all the way to being my campaign manager for the 2019 primary election.

Adrian Mapp - who made some difficult years on the Council worth sticking it out.  The last 5 1/2 years proved that Plainfield's potential can be (and has been) tapped.  Leadership has been the missing ingredient at city hall and for the Board of Education and I am proud to say that I have  been part of the turnaround team.

Rebecca Williams - for being a great campaign manager who used to say she could never run for office.  Look at her now!  A great Council colleague along the way.

Linda Carter - who ran with me 16 years ago in support of Al McWilliams.  Look at her now!

Inez Durham - steadfast supporter and voice of reason.

Thank you to the many people who sent me a message or spoke with me after the election.  Working with you and serving you made the Council position gratifying. Thank you to the donors, most of whom were Plainfielders. 
 
Part of why I lost the election was because some constituents saw the job of Council differently than I do.  I stuck to the priorities I set from the beginning, to my detriment with the election result.  I will explain this someday with a blog post, perhaps when my term is up in December.  For now, lets all work to support Mayor Mapp, rebuild bridges and continue the progress Plainfield is making.


No comments: