Sunday, May 13, 2007

Bio and Experience

Hello, I'm Cory Storch. I am seeking re-election as City Councilman for the 2nd ward. I have been a Plainfield resident for 28 years. My wife, Lois Mattson, and I have raised two children here. My family and I have become very involved in Plainfield in many ways and love our city very much.

Here is a little background on my life and work in Plainfield. Both of my children attended Cook School. When they were at Cook, Lois and I became very involved with the school community through the Parent - Teacher organization CSAC (Cook School Advisory Committee). I participated on the CSBAC (Citizen's School Budget Advisory Committee) for six years, and chaired it for two years. After my involvement with CSBAC I decided to run for School Board and was elected. My School Board colleagues and I changed a polarized Board of Education into a cohesive working group. When I was School Board President, I presided over the search committee for Superintendent of Schools which resulted in the hiring of Larry Leverett. I served on the Board of Education for six years.

I was appointed to the Plainfield Planning Board in 2000 and have served continously to the present. I have been an advocate for lower density building in residential areas and I am proud to serve on a Board that has had a positive impact on the quality of the projects that come up for review and approvals.

I was elected to the Plainfield City Council in 2004 and have been a consistently independent voice on the Council with the two adminstrations and Mayors I have worked with. I ran for municipal office because I saw that the potential of Plainfield was unfulfilled and that there was an opportunity for positive change. What was needed was teamwork among city leaders. I thought I could make a contribution. I will detail what I have accomplished in a future blog. For now, I will say that I have been part of a turnaround for our city. There is much to do and I want to see this positive trend gain momentum and demonstrate substantial progess. I feel that my commitment to Plainfield, my years of experience in local government and my understanding of Plainfield, gained from much involvement in civic affairs, can continue to be an asset to Plainfield citizens.

In addition to my local government work, my family has been deeply involved in the local community. I was a coach for the Plainfield Youth Soccer Club for eight years. Lois, my mother in law Jean Mattson and my daughter Alexa have all served on the YWCA of Plainfield Board of Directors (Alexa is a current member and Lois serves in an advisory capacity). We have been active supporters of the Plainfield Symphony and many other worthy Plainfield causes.

In my professional life, I have been Executive Director of Bridgeway Rehabilitation Services, Inc. for 19 years. Bridgeway is a non profit agency that was recently recognized as outstanding provider agency of 2007.

I ask for your support in the June 5th Democratic primary election. I am optimistic about Plainfield and I hope you will give me the opportunity to help Plainfield. In future blogs, I will share my vision for our city in detail and my platform/goals for the next four years. You can contact me at corys37@aol.com or 908-412-1343. I am looking forward to hearing from you.

No comments: