Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Mayors Security Detail

Thank you Mayor. Its never too late to do the right thing. Your opponents were salivating over this issue and now you beat them to the punch. I was astonished when you arrived at the Hillside Avenue Neighborhood Watch block party last weekend with one of your officers in tow. Now I am thinking more of you as a politician.

The Star Ledger reporter had it right when he wrote that local elected officials were reluctant to criticize the security detail, even though it has cost the city hundreds of thousands of dollars. The only public challenges I am aware of are when Annie McWilliams brought it up during a debate at the library and when I asked for a risk assessment at a council meeting. What we got today was a political assessment from the Mayor in preparation for the contested June primary election.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Cory;

I just read your post and will totally agree that the mayor is preparing for re-election. But at least for me, this move comes late.

But it was interesting to read your line about the mayoral election being a "contested" one. Will you share with us who is contesting Robinson-Briggs? So far, we don't know who is running against her, at least not on my neck of the woods.

Thanks.

Maria Pellum